What is Hearing Loss?
Having a hearing loss means you have lost the ability to hear certain sounds. Sometimes the hearing loss is temporary, which can occur after being exposed to loud noise or due to a wax blockage. However, hearing loss can be permanent due to damage or changes in the auditory system.
Hearing Loss Symptoms
The onset of hearing loss is gradual in many cases and therefore, the effects are not immediately noticed. Common symptoms of hearing loss include the following:
- Difficulty hearing in noisy environments
- Missing parts of conversation or certain words
- Asking to turn up the volume on the radio or the TV
- Frequent need for people to repeat themselves
- Difficulty hearing conversation on the telephone
- Ringing or buzzing in the ears (Tinnitus)
While the symptoms of hearing loss can vary from person to person, the particular challenges faced by an individual are significantly influenced by the type and degree of hearing loss they are experiencing.